Raf Simons has been creating some of the best collections of the last decade and the Jil Sander Spring 2012 collection is further proof of this. Simons has undoubtedly been operating most successfully in recent years within the Jil Sander framework, and it will be interesting to see where both Simons and Jil Sander take things when they part company after Autumn / Winter 2012. The fashion house's production facilities give him the ability to really push and develop his uncompromisingly left field silhouettes and mind blowing fabrications. The Belgian designer is always at the forefront of developments outside the fashion world, something that is shown in this season's extreme take on the ipad case (complete with bungee rope attachments). It is an accessory that looks all the better in the flesh when compared to the more unwearable runway styling.
The oversized Jil Sander t-shirt silhouettes that run throughout the collection continue to remain a central focus of our buy, and it is a style that has spread to a number of younger brands (Sunsea offered clean-cut wool versions for Autumn / Winter '11, whilst Leh have crafted a more relaxed linen version for this season). It is certainly a Raf Simons creation however, a pattern that he has been refining since long before taking the helm at Jil Sander. Here they are presented in a range of interesting fabrics and patterning.
The Jil Sander shoes this season are impressive for both women and men, but it is the snakeskin army boots in blue and grey that are the true standouts and will put most other brands' offerings to shame over the coming months.
With his tailoring and outerwear in particular, Simons has delivered yet another masterclass. When it comes to knitwear, accessories and footwear, no one else really comes close.
- One of the best silhouettes to emerge over the last couple of seasons is the oversized, boxy Jil Sander t-shirt.
- This new version from the Jil Sander Spring 2012 collection features an intricate, overstitched geometric pattern.
- There have been a number of different takes on a similar shape, from diverse brands including Sunsea and Leh.
Jil Sander Knits
- The Jil Sander knitwear continues to showcase Raf Simon's use of innovative fabrications.
- Executed for the Jil Sander Spring 2012 collection in a vibrant colour palette of bright blues, dusty reds and earth tones.
- The Tonal Yarn Sweater features particularly impressive construction with its loose-weave effect.